Tuesday 7 January 2014

Trip to the post office

We got a package today from my sister, Diane.  We had to go to the Central Post office to pick it up.  A fellow from the mail room at the Area office went with us and I'm glad he did.  We couldn't find a place to park so he didn't come in with us.  I gave them the paper and then they needed ID (which is just fine) but then they needed us to photo copy it for them.  Edwin did that while I wrote down my details twice and signed the paperwork.  She went off to get the package (and there were a lot of them in the back).   I then had to write my address and sign and date it again.  
I was then passed to the next lady and she handed us a knife so we could cut open the package because they had to see everything that was in it.  So much for privacy.   As I was unwrapping the items she took a piece of the bubble wrap and started popping it.  I handed a piece to the other lady too and she smiled and started popping away!   I guess everyone, everywhere likes popping bubble wrap.  Haha!  
The lady then ask me what I thought the package was worth.  I ask what it said on the sticker that Diane had filled out?  It said $40 (which was probably on the low side).  The lady said she thought that was too much and so I ask her what she thought.  She decided $8.00.   So then she did some figuring and said I owed 15.50 cedi for duty charges (about $7.).   I think I had to pay duty on items that I could possibly have bought here.  I did ask for a receipt just to be sure I wasn't just paying a bribe that would go into their pockets.
Anyway -  I got a good chuckle out of the whole process.   And of course, it is always fun getting a parcel.  Diane sent us all the ingredients to make Paleo fudge (4 or 5 batches worth).  Thanks Diane!



No comments:

Post a Comment