Monday 10 November 2014

Fwd: Couples Meeting

This is an email from a missionary couple serving North of here in Techiman.  I thought it was interesting so I am forwarding it on to everyone.  I have been bad about emailing and getting pictures up so this is my easy way out. 


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Christina Olson <coolson1@icloud.com>
Date: Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Subject: Couples Meeting
To: Elder Olson <d.olson71@icloud.com>



Dear Family and Friends,
Another busy week, but we are grateful to have many things to do.  It makes life a lot more happy.  (And time goes faster.)  We had our Couples Meeting changed toThursday night so the Brink's would have time to travel down from Tamale and be able to get back for their Sunday meetings.  Elder Olson and I had many things to do to get ready and make sure the missionaries had what they needed while we were gone. 
While out we passed our neighborhood casket making shop.  I had to get a picture of this.  This is their latest creation.


Can you believe it!  It really was beautiful.

The four of us traveled together from Techiman to Kumasi.  Elder Brink was happy to have Dad in the front seat with him to help him navigate.  We traveled on Wednesday which is not a big market day like Thursday, however, we saw many people on the road heading towards towns for the market day on Thursday.



While in Kumasi it is a busy time getting supplies from the Mission Office for our areas.  It never seems like we have enough room to carry everything.  We also transport things for missionaries that have been transferred, like washing machines.  We are pretty full.
Our meeting was from 6-8 Thursday evening.  As you can see we were all pretty tired.  8pm is late for us old folks.  😳







Really, it was a good meeting and we all gained from it.
The Brink's decided to do some produce shopping in Techiman before they left.  Everything is more expensive in Tamale so we took them to our market earlySaturday morning on their way out.



This was the first time the Brink's had shopped like this in a market.  Believe me it is very hard getting used to shopping this way.  It still is hard for us.  I will love Walmart til the end of my days.  But when you can get huge cabbages and papaya for 1 Cedis (.30) each and huge pineapple for 2 Cedis (.60) it is worth it.
I had to get some things too.  The missionaries all came for dinner Sunday night.  

For Church they played a session of General Conference in Twi.  I am humbled when I think all the Church does to take the Gospel to all the world.  The adults all seemed to enjoy it.  



However, the children started to get restless and I thought I could take them into another room and give them a little lesson.  Bad idea.  There were 9 girls from 4-12.  They didn't speak English very well and they started fist fighting and biting each other and they completely ignored me.  It was truly a nightmare.  It reminded me of the time they called my mother to be a Primary Teacher and she was 80.  On her very first class she ended up with 13 and they met on the stage of the cultural hall.  One of the children threw up and the others ran away screaming.  At the end of that Primary she turned in her books to the president and said, "I quit".  I won't quit but I sure will do things differently next time. 😫😫

This was the first time the new missionaries had been to our place.  We had lots to eat and they love being together.  Now there are SISTERS!!  Dad and I have to do a little more chaperoning.



Such clowns.
Again, we love you all and thank you for your love and support.
The Church is true.
Love, 
Elder and Sister Olson (Mom and Dad)

Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment